Goal: The Sustainability Council seeks to support students performing sustainability-focused research in the Penn State College of the Liberal Arts during the spring and/or summer of 2024. Students can apply for funds to conduct independent research projects under the supervision of a CLA faculty member.
What will be funded? Any type of sustainability-focused research or creative project, including work in the lab, field, or archives.
Eligibility: Any undergraduate or graduate student enrolled in the College of the Liberal Arts with at least one semester remaining before graduation is eligible. Students must have a faculty sponsor for their project and must consult with that faculty member to develop their project.
Funding: Six awards for up to $1000 each will be awarded to three undergraduates and three graduate students. Funds may be used to support research-related activities such as lab supplies, analytical services, travel, etc.
Project Presentation: Students funded through this program will present a poster detailing their research at the annual Undergraduate or Graduate Exhibition in Spring 2024. Awardees must submit a digital version of their poster presentation to the CLA Sustainability Council as their final project report.
Deadline to apply: October 15, 2023
How to Apply?
- Think of a project idea and discuss it with a faculty member (not sure if you know a faculty member consider faculty in our expert data list; https://sustainability.la.psu.edu/meet-the-experts/)
- Work with a faculty member to develop your project and budget.
- Go to this online form to submit the information listed below to apply
- Deadline to apply is October 15, 2023 (application opens August 1, 2023)
Information needed to apply
- Semester and planned graduation date
- Major(s)/Minor(s) or Graduate Program
- Project title
- Objectives and motivation for research (250 words). Please include a statement describing the sustainability focus of your proposed project.
- Description of how the research will contribute to student’s educational and professional goals (100 words)
- Faculty sponsor
- Budget and a brief justification
Please address questions to Laurel Pearson: firstname.lastname@example.org